Sunday, May 30, 2010

Self help.

I'm always looking to improve myself, absorbing information everywhere I go, figuring out the things I see. The people I enjoy the most are the ones who enrich my life with their own learnings. You're never too old to keep learning, that's something my dad always says. Hes a pretty old dude, but his mind is still sharp.

Sometimes you'll meet someone who's ashamed to learn. Someone who wants to carry the illusion that they know it all and there isn't much left to learn. I'm more the type that'll swallow my pride and dive head first into something if I really feel passionate about it. I adore constructive criticism. To me, this brings up the subject of strength. Though its an entirely different ball of wax, I believe strength isn't when you decide you are a certain way and stick to it, but instead when you have an opinion and defend it and when faced with over whelming evidence, you may reconsider your views.

I'm still young enough right now to where I can shamelessly learn about whatever and make mistakes here and there. I would hope by the next decade, when I'm 30, I'd be able to minimize this margin of error and come as close to perfection as I can be. Couldn't you imagine it being embarrassing to be 30 and still not know how to drive a car? Just throwing that out there as an example.

But at the core of what I'm saying.. We shouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed to seek information and knowledge. We have the Internet at our finger tips and a whole universe to learn about. We shouldn't be ashamed to be actively searching for ways to better ourselves. I wish we'd all agree to get our heads out off our asses and just do what we need to do to improve ourselves! I started pondering all this when I realized being in the self help section of a bookstore was slightly taboo and embarrassing. I don't feel like it should be that way.

1 comment:

  1. jonathan scott ngan, you're amazing.
    and i meen that.

    ReplyDelete